Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy Returns

I’m back! And I’m more quarter-life cat lady than ever before. Well… that’s not entirely true. I will always be a cat lady so I guess I’m more quarter-life now that I’m 26 and actively searching for a 20-something adventure. Since moving back to California from Germany a year and a half ago, I’ve been through a series of upsets that have left me feeling out of place, emotionally drained, and overweight. I’ve gained 40 pounds since my return! I’ve experienced depression, disappointment, heart break, self-deprecation, and listlessness. I wasn’t exactly stoked to blog about my life because I wasn’t happy about it. So I didn’t. My life became a cyclical process – something good would happen and after a few weeks or a month or two, it would come crashing down at my feet. I would grieve, get back on my feet, and then something good would happen again when I was feeling strong. But I wasn’t strong enough because it kept happening. So I decided to do something about it.

Whether or not my problems will follow me, I’m moving out of California and starting over somewhere new. In June of 2013, two years after my return to America from the greatest adventure of my young life, I will be embarking on another, not-so-glamorous, but certainly well-intended adventure. My best friend growing up recently uprooted her entire life and moved to Vancouver, Washington on a whim. She has family there but didn’t move there for love or a career or for school. She did it because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. It was an adventure and she needed one. Much like myself.

I’ve decided to follow her. In six months time I am packing up my life (at least the most important parts and that which can fit inside my car) and my cat and we’re moving to Washington state. California is no longer an option for me. There aren’t any jobs where I currently live, there aren’t any metropolitan cities that I want to move to, and it’s way too expensive for me to live on my own. In Washington, and Vancouver especially, the jobs in education are far more plentiful, the cost of living is lower, and rent is super cheap.

At this point, I don’t have anything to lose. Except maybe a lot of money but you can always make more. So, for the next six months I will actively work on tying up the loose ends in California and begin to build onto my new life in Vancouver.

I’ve booked a flight to visit Vancouver over spring break. I’ve put over $2,000 in my savings. I’m actively searching job sites and apartment listings, keeping tabs on what’s available and within my capabilities and requirements.

My life is going to change. Starting now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Heather!

    Glad to see you are back. Long time reader that has kind of followed your blog trail..

    Wish you the best of luck! I live in Vancouver - BC that is so not too far. Washington is definitely going to be a big change for you coming from California.

    ReplyDelete