Friday, January 25, 2013

3 Day Juice Fast: Day 1

Today marks the almost-end of my first day of a 3-day juice fast. I originally wanted to do a juice fast for 10 days but after doing some research, I figured it was smarter and safer for me to embark on a smaller fast. I’ll still get the benefits of detoxification so it’s less about weight loss now and more about a clean palette for my body.

Today has been a mixture of both determination and frustration. I can’t tell you how many times today I have had to talk myself down from giving up. And I haven’t even seen the end of the day yet. The start of my day was actually on a see-saw. To fast or not to fast? I hadn’t done any shopping and didn’t really have a plan. The night before I’d actually told myself that I would do it another weekend. But I pulled out all of the left over produce that I had in my fridge and I decided to just do it. I made up my own juice recipe for breakfast this morning – kale, celery, lemon, Gala apple, pear, and some chia seeds. It was surprisingly delicious but it did not keep my full. My stomach was growling and aching less than three hours later. I hadn’t really committed to the fast that morning – I was only partially there so I had brought a yogurt with chia seeds to work with me. I ended up eating that during snack break - I love preschool, built in snack time! So I haven’t been on a 100% fast but since then I haven’t had anything but juice. It satiated me for a bit but I was hungry again an hour later!

I went to New Frontiers around noon and bought some more kale and 5 pounds of carrot. And a birthday card for my dad. And a juice from their juice bar. I ended up spilling it all over myself and my car and breaking my cup so I had to go in and get a knew one. But it went from a 16oz juice to about a 8 oz juice pretty quick. I finished it and then went to Costco and spent $50 on fresh produce.

I came home and made another juice. I felt like I was starving by then! That one was pretty good. Cucumber, kale, celery, apple, grapefruit, and lime. It was tangy and sweet and came out all pretty and green. I had my mom taste it and try to guess the flavors. She was mostly right. As soon as I drank that juice, I felt full. Like overfed, full. I hate that feeling. All of that liquid but I can imagine all of the nutrients sinking into my body, not having to digest any of it.

I was hungry again about two hours later but I drank water, lots of water. And then I went to the gym. I was strangely energized. I powered through my weights routine and even upped the row machine to 75 lbs! I walked on the treadmill for 50 minutes with a high incline and moderately speedy pace. Burned 550 calories and finished the book that I was reading (I LOVE using my Kindle at the gym!). I had weird stomach cramps through most of it but I peed for about ten minutes after I was done. Yay toxins leaving the body! Goodbye water weight!

I felt really slow and lethargic afterwards and driving home I felt a little disoriented. It was like my body and brain were trailing a few feet behind me. Very strange feeling. I feel a little disconnected right now. Am I making sense? I hope so.

Once I got home I made myself a dinner juice – spinach, kale, carrot, celery, cucumber, and apple. It wasn’t my favorite juice but it did the trick. Got rid of that hungry, starving feeling. After I type this up, I’m going to take a shower, make myself some hot tea with lemon, snuggle with Lucy, and watch Netflix until I fall asleep.

If my hungry stomach will allow that to happen. It’s growling right now! I finished that juice about 30 minutes ago. I know that this isn’t going to be easy and that I will struggle with my will power about 8 million times over the next two days. But I can do it. I’m so tired of always giving up on everything. Nobody takes me seriously anymore. I feel like the boy who cried wolf. I want to do this for myself. I want to make a difference in my health. I want to be stronger, healthier, and smarter about my food choices. I can do this. I can! One day is already done. I’m already almost halfway there!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Think of the benefits! Drink lots of hot tea as well, it does fill you up! xo

    ReplyDelete