Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Juicing Journeys: Taste Tests (Pt. 1)

I’m working my way towards a 10 day juice fast and I’m in the very beginning stages. I’m doing a lot of research, a lot of “pinning,” and a lot of taste testing. I’m hoping to have tried a wide variety of juices before I start my fast so that I don’t get bored in the first few days. There are millions of combinations, of fruits and veggies, veggies only, fruits only, etc. and so I’m making my way through as many as I can before I’m ready for the detox to begin!

Here are a few of my favorites so far…

Green Zipper (source)
2 1/2 green apples
1/2 cucumber
1 snippet of ginger (about the size of the tip of your thumb)
1-2 cups of kale (to taste)

  • For this recipe, I only used 2 green apples because that was all I had in my apartment but I think when I make this again, I will add that extra half an apple. Without it, the ginger and cucumber were pretty overwhelming together and I hope the apple would mask some of that. Maybe I might even skip the ginger and put it half a lemon or lime instead.

Bountiful Breakfast (source)
2 chopped grapefruits (peel and pith removed)
5 chopped carrots
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped

  • This one is my favorite so far! I love, love, love the grapefruit in this juice. The two that I bought from my local Albertson’s were soooo juicy. And I love carrot juice so this was a perfect combination.

ABC Breakfast (source)
1 small beet, chopped
5 carrots, chopped
1 apple, cored and chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint sprigs

  • I had this one with my breakfast this morning and it was interesting. I’d never had beets before and so I was pleasantly surprised. Aside from the beet juice stains all over my hands, it added an interesting twist to the apple/carrot blend and made the juice a dark, crimsony purple color. However, I think I will use a much smaller beet next time because it made the juice taste very earthy… almost like… dirt. Or something. Also, I couldn’t get the mint springs to juice – they just flew back into the pulp collector so I suppose that part could be optional since I can’t speak for its addition to the juice itself. Without it, though, the juice is just fine!

Easy A
3-4 medium carrots
1 Granny Smith apple

  • This makes a small serving of juice – perfect compliment to a fried egg and toast or a pancake breakfast. It was deliciously sweet and the color was fun too. If I were to use this recipe for my fast, I would double the ingredients to make a more substantial juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment