Saturday, January 12, 2013

New Year, New Life

Oh joy. A new year. 2012 was a tough one. I’m hoping for good things this time around with a lot of healthy changes. Like about 98% of the planet, I started the new year with resolutions which I would rather call promises. This year I make one ultimate promise to myself – to take care of myself mind, body, and soul and to be kinder to myself. If there is one thing that I’ve learned over the years, it’s that I am my greatest ally. People come and go in my life more than I’d like to admit and so I owe it to myself to be my own best friend. I’ve been eating healthier – mostly fresh produce and fruit and lots of lean meat and tofu. I haven’t eaten much processed food over the last few weeks and I’ve exercised at least 20 minutes (mostly walking) everyday and so far, I’ve lost 5 pounds. I feel great, my body feels stronger, my metabolism is changing, my mind is starting to catch up, too. I hope to create good habits that last a lifetime, not just a couple of months.

As I’ve ventured through the world that is healthy eating, I’ve stumbled upon the concept of juicing. I’d never considered it before but it seems to be a viable option for healthy eating and weight loss so naturally, I’m interested. I borrowed a juicer from a friend and tried my first juicing recipe: kale, parsley, celery, cucumber, apple, and lemon. I threw one lime in there too but I regretted it, the juice turned out really sour but I drank it anyway! I’ll follow the recipe tomorrow and see how I like it then. If anything, I would add a second apple.

IMG_5738   IMG_5739

Juicing is supposed to be really good for you since it’s vitamins and antioxidants that goes straight into your body. I’m looking into more recipes and contemplating buying my own juicer if I like more of what I try. So far though, I’m happy. However, my apartment still smells like the juice so it’s kind of weird. I also bought a 2 QT Crockpot recently so I’m excited to get that going. I’ve never used a crock pot before but I can’t wait to come home to the smell of a delicious dinner. And then eat it! YUM.

Another goal that I have this year is to blog more and Facebook less. I’m starting to hate Facebook. It’s turning me against all of my friends. I hate watching their lives move on while mine is stuck and I hate that Facebook allows us to be lazy about staying in touch. Also, I’m becoming sort of a hermit via Facebook and everyone’s becoming slightly concerned for my well-being. I’m absolutely fine but if you looked at my Facebook you might think differently. I appear to be a hermit, living in a feline infested cave, who doesn’t have any friends, or a social life. Regardless of whether or not any of those things are true, I shouldn’t be advertising myself that way in the first place. So, blog more, Facebook less. Good plan.

On that note, I hope to incorporate some of my Pinterest-inspired ideas into my life and blog about them. I also hope to keep up with my plans of moving. As it stands now, Vancouver may not be the final destination but I do plan to move this summer. The best part about being single and having a traveling cat is that I can move wherever I want. So, for now, my plans are on hold but this spring I fully intend to give them life again and get on with it. Lord knows I need a fresh, new perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Resolutions...i stopped making resolutions...

    I've never been a fan of Facebook. I don't know why, i just don't like it. You know, you say you look like a hermit, without a social life...it looks like a description of myself lol!

    I guess "blog more, facebook less" is a good plan too. I "follow" you here and will continue to do so, because i find your blog interesting :) So keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete